“Your vision will become clear only when you look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”

~ Carl Jung

Sunday, March 17, 2013

BEND








One of my favorite images is the Live Oak tree.  I grew up in Louisiana and there is nothing more beautiful to me than an ancient oak with gnarled limbs covered in Spanish moss.  In one of my favorite pictures of my children, they are sitting on the limb of a huge Oak tree in Audubon Park in New Orleans.  For me the Live Oak represents strength, permanence, and being rooted, grounded in my heritage. 

The very thing I love about Oak trees is also a problem.  Their strength creates an inflexibility that makes them vulnerable to the winds of change.    And in Louisiana the winds of change often come with hurricane force.


I realize as I grow older that I am like the Oak trees I Iove.  I prefer being solidly rooted in this moment, this current reality.  I don’t like the winds of change.   I like to live my life with a long term plan.  I want to know where I am going and how I am going to get there.  My body reminds me of this preference in the arthritic stiffness I am beginning to experience in my joints. 


And so, currently, I am trying to build flexibility.  I want to be able to bend with each moment.  I need to be less like the Oak I love and more like the willow - rooted yet able to be resilient and supple.  In my physical life I am trying each day to exercise, breathe and stretch,  to build flexibility.  And in my spiritual life, I am stretching myself to accept and rejoice in what is now, to trust that tomorrow will take care of itself if only I will get out of the way - living my life in this moment with trust and faith that there is one greater than I who is watching over me with love.   




2 comments:

Loretta Thomas said...

This I can related to, for I have fibro, and chronic pain. Your post is very encouraging, insightful and inspirational...thanks so much! Loretta

Dottie said...

Thanks Loretta! Glad you found encouragement in this post. I really appreciate your encouragement as well. Have a wonderful week!